Thursday, January 19, 2012
Justin hall and overexposure.
I just finished reading chapter 2 about Justin Hall and his web blogging. I think some of what he went through is quite common. When we share personal information with strangers it affects those around you as much as it does you. I have noticed that I post frequently to Facebook because I work 3rds and don't have a real live person to talk to. (and the fact that many of my friends and family are far away and this gives us a way to stay connected to each other when it is convienient for each of us.) I learned very quickly that over sharing can quickly come back and bite you in the butt. Now most of my posts are generic and vague to the point that I often wonder why I even keep the account (which is obvious because I like to see/hear my about/from family and friends) I admired Justin for being raw and real, and completely understand his taking down of the site. Although it would have been awesome to be able to go back and read what he had written and click some of his link in his crazy web of a website. I think I'd like to watch his video and see what he was like at that time. Online intimacy and face to face intimacy are becoming more blurred by the day and who know what the future will hold. . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I thought it was interesting how Hall found the use of hypertext exciting. He used it on his personal site, Hotwired and suck.com. While blogging wasn't a new concept, Hall seemed to be a pioneer. He realized that the monthly/weekly issue concept was not a good idea to keep website followers. He proved that constant updates keep followers. This is very true today with Twitter. Celebrities that stop tweeting get forgotten in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteJustin Hall used everything about the internet as a way to validate himself. The obvious need of having total strangers comment about all aspects of your life, as well as the need of having people wanting you, by teaching them the way to create web pages. There are some great things that came from him, but at what cost to the privacy of others? Pioneers in any industry, as he was, often perform shocking actions as they are testing the boundaries of tolerance. I think he was mature enough to realize the damage he was causing when writing about others. By focusing his writings on his own feelings and views, and by not using real names, was a genuine selfless act in a selfishly motivated forum. He did receive his wake-up call to either continue to live life on the internet or drop it, and live it with the person with him. Sharing ones life on the internet should not have to be a minute by minute account. People should put a few good tidbits on, leaving some mystery for face time with people because it makes the information that much more exciting.
ReplyDeleteJustin Hall had an excellent concept of how to teach people different ways of building pages, however he did so by exposing his most intimate details surrounding his life and those around him. Over time he came to the realization that he couldn't have a normal relationship with most people if he continued revealing every detail of his life to the e-world and faced an ultimatum of sorts.
ReplyDeleteJustin Hall, through his "transparent" internet self-disclosure, pioneered the web to be something that it hadn't really been before. It became a friend of-sorts. That is both unnerving, yet exciting to me. In some ways, the internet has opened our world up to the possibility of communicating in ways that we never have been able to before, with people that we would have never had the opportunity to come into contact with. But the unnerving part, is the question of at what cost? Did Justin Hall lack basic social interaction skills because he was too busy staring at a webcam bearing his soul? Or was the internet, as he called it truly a "deeply connective personal activity?" Though Hall shut off his website, I feel as if the world is still learning where to draw the line between personal sharing and generic posts through our social media sites. Kids are learning to communicate differently than we did with our friends when we were younger and I think only time will tell if that is a good development, or one that will cause problems in the future.
ReplyDelete