Sunday, March 18, 2012

Evan Williams and Meg Hourihan


Evan and Meg are two people who really believed in the web.  They were lucky enough to be able to create a business around something they love.  Their story was incredibly interesting in several ways.  The history of blogger.com and the people involved created a special interest since we use their site for our homework.  The dynamics of the company and the struggles they had were presented as problems that any company could have.  As I was reading I kept rooting for them to avoid doom, as they never really seemed to come up with a great way to generate revenue for the company.  Even though they had issues generating revenue, they had created a product that was needed and constantly growing.  The employees truly believed in the product and it was definitely evident when they chose to work for free.  I wonder if blogger.com would have survived if Meg and the other employees had not walked out leaving Evan alone.  It appeared that being left alone was the push he needed to come up with the income generating products and put in the time required to make the product survive.  I was glad to read that Meg and the early investors did receive some compensation when the company was sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment