Saturday, March 17, 2012

Chapter 3 (Late) and Chapter 4

I realize I am well behind for blogging about chapter 3, however, Spring Break has given me plenty of time to catch up on my reading. I have to admit, I'm with the rest of the class on the lack of interest in this chapter. Especially reading chapter 4 following it, there is little to no excitement in there.

Chapter 4, however, was very interesting to me. I find it intriguing and ironic as I type on Blogger, now knowing the history behind it. Evan Williams and Meg Hourihan seemed to make a great team in their creation of Pyra Labs. It seems strange that they would keep the Pyra project alive when they had something like Blogger striving as much as it was after its launch. But when they knew that focusing on one project was what needed to happen, it was clear which had to stay. My biggest takeaway from this chapter was the main focus on faith and risk. If Williams hadn't believed in Blogger as much as he did, then he would've been like the rest of the employees, just giving up and letting Blogger slowly die. Williams had to have faith that his project could and would survive. And when Google offered to buy Blogger, it was a matter of risk, yet faith to know that Google would not ruin his 'baby'. And when Williams began Twitter (which is totally crazy and awesome that he did), he had to have faith in starting something new after leaving his biggest accomplishment to another person. Williams' story begins with much failure, yet his belief in his work and talent has drastically changed the web. I mean, I wouldn't be writing a blog for class or tweeting to my friends if it wasn't for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment